Thursday, April 4, 2013

Interactive Whiteboards in Today's Classroom

Interactive white boards are the newest forms of technology within the classroom. You can find one in just about every classroom today. IWBs are being looked at as a great classroom tool that can increase class participation and lead to an increase in higher test scores. The huge downside to having one of the IWBs, is that they are on the pricier side, which always brings up the argument on whether these boards are worth it.
Through my experiences with IWBs, I personally have had great interactions and outcomes with them. Almost every single one of my classes in high school had an IWB. My teachers were pretty well trained on how to use them, so I saw them as a highly effective learning tool. The boards could be used as a great way to differentiate within a classroom due to the amount options the boards have. Rather than a boring chalk board, students can interact with the lesson plans all form one board. BUT, I also saw times where these boards were definitely a waste of time and money. I have come to a conclusion that the teacher is what makes the IWB a good tool and that is all it should be used for.  
There is always the argument of whether or not these IWBs are worth it. Teachers and school districts have really bought in on the idea of needing to have the best and newest technology to be an innovative school. These boards are great, but the cost for them is in the thousands of dollars range. Is this cost worth it for a better education? I think so. These boards are the future tool for learning.

4 comments:

  1. This is the first positive personal experience I have read about IWB's, and it's good to know that when used properly they were effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good that you had a good experience,and that you are able to tell your story to everyone so that they ahve a positive thought about the IWB's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to finally hear from a student with a positive opinion and experiences with IWBs. I was starting to wonder if anyone had anything good to say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see someone who has a positive outlook on smartboards! I just wish I could say I know how to use one. Great post, I agree.

    ReplyDelete